A Winter Classic: Broccoli Soup
Guys, it's cold.
I'm writing this from under a mass of sweaters, blankets and a chubby boston terrier.
January is a good time for fresh starts, and I know many of the New Year resolutions/intentions made this year fell along the lines of eating well.
Keep in mind that eating well doesn't necessarily mean salads and smoothies every day. It's January...in Canada..warm nourishment is where it's at!
Soups, stews, spicy curries, and slow cooked things? Hells ya. Load my bowl up and cross your fingers that the wooly socks I'm wearing don't cause me to spill everything everywhere when I can't help but do my "happy warm girl dance".
I made this soup in 15 minutes flat and got 3 meals out of it (just the right amount of days before you get sick of it, I swear). I divided the batch into 3 jars and besides looking pretty in my fridge, they made morning lunch prep super easy the morning of.
Broccoli Soup with a Kick Recipe:
This is a simple broccoli soup made with some anti-inflammatory, warming herbs and without dairy or gluten. It's super filling, rich in fiber and green power. It will get your blood flowing and help keep your toes warm when your chubby boston needs a you know what.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 good sized yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- a head of broccoli
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 cups stalk (chicken or veg)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- sea salt and cayenne pepper to your liking
- In your blender, coarsely chop 1 good sized yellow onion with your garlic
- At the same time, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a sauce pan
- Get some colour on your onions, sautee them for a few mins
- Add your curry spice, to the onions. Optional; Sprinkle in some extra turmeric
- Back to your blender again coarsely chop your zucchini and broccoli (stems included), add them to your sauce pan with the onions.
- Let the veggies get fragrant for a second and then add in your liquids.
- Bring to a simmer and let it flavourize for atleast 10 minutes.
- Blend together using an immersion blender or by carefully adding everything back to your blender.
- Adjust spices as necessary
Enjoy with a dollop of goat milk yogurt, a sprinkle of your favouite seeds and a drizzle of your favourite hot sauce.
If a healthy fresh start was something you were thinking about for 2015, check out my New Year Fresh Start Program! It's a 5 Day FOOD BASED, group cleanse. You get to eat yourself clean with the support of an amazing group. A great way to kick start the new year in a supportive, community setting!
Warm and healthy wishes,