When I think of mushrooms I usually always first think of immunity, but they are an awesome stress combating food too!
What makes them so great for resiliency and stress is the fact that mushrooms are actually rich in B vitamins, particularly pantothenic acid (also known as B5). Vitamin B5 is a common addition to many popular stress and anxiety formulas, it supports the adrenal glands in producing hormones that help the body adapt to stress.
Mushrooms have been used medicinally for centuries and are commonly used for helping to balance and optimize immune function, for helping to re-charge adrenal glands and supporting hormonal balance, for their anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, as well as for the potent antioxidants they contain! Chaga is one specific type of mushroom that is said to be the "antioxidant king" of the mushroom family. It contains approximately 50x more antioxidants than blueberries. Check out my awesome Chocolate Chai Chaga latte recipe here
The following recipe is loaded with these fun stress and immune supporting guys and is dairy free, paleo, vegan, gluten free and all that jazz. We're working with basically just vegetables and coconut milk here y'all. So simple and classic. Flavourful mushrooms are simmered in a coconut chaga broth and pureed with a few spices to make a creamy, delicious, immunity soup.
Immune Loving Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 or 3 cups of mixed mushrooms
- 1 or 2 cups of chopped cauliflower (optional, but awesome)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups brewed chaga tea (or broth of your choice- bone broth is an amazing choice)
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme and fresh parsley
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- If you are using dried mushrooms, you'll have to soak them first- place in bowl and cover with boiling water and let rehydrate for a while
- Heat your coconut oil over a medium-high setting in a soup pot.
- Add your chopped onions and garlic and sauté until nice and soft
- Add in mushroom, cauliflower and fresh herbs, continue to cook for about 10 minutes
- Pour in your can of coconut milk and 2 cups of chaga tea (or broth) (Click here for chaga steeping instructions)
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for a simmer for about 20-30 mins
- Transfer contents to a blender (carefully) and blend until it's a rough puree
- Season to taste