Matcha mornings have become a thing at my place.
As much as I love love love my Americano mornings, I've been trying to cut back. Too much caffeine burdens our already burdened adrenals (stress glands), contributing to hormonal imbalances.
I have found matcha green tea to be an amazing substitute for my morning brew. Like coffee, it's comforting and energizing, but health wise, matcha is a next level superfood.
One cup of matcha equals has 10 times the antioxidant and nutritional power of 1 cup of regular green tea.
If that point alone isn't enough to catch your attention, here are a few more reasons to add some matcha to your world:
- It is amazingly high in free radical scavenging antioxidants! ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) is a method in which we rate the antioxidant capacity of things, and matcha is up there amongst the highest rated foods.
- It is especially high in a particular catechin type antioxidant called EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) which is well known for its ability to protect your cells from UV damage, chemicals and protect against cancer.
- It boosts your energy! Studies have shown that a cup of matcha can boost endurance by nearly 25%.
- At the same time that it is stimulating, it is also calming. Matcha is rich in L-theanine, an amino acid that promotes alpha waves in your brain promoting zen and calm. You won't get those jitters like you may from caffeine, just a blast of non-anxious energy!
- It boosts your metabolism and enhances your immune system.
- It's a powerful detoxifier, you can feel it working its magic as you drink it.
Do you need some matcha in your world? Get some here.
Dreamy Morning Matcha Recipe
This is an awesome morning boost (for your energy and your metabolism)!
- 1 scoop organic matcha powder (1-4 -1/2 tsp of matcha depending on what kind you use)
- A good splash of coconut or almond milk
- Unpasteurized honey to sweeten (optional)
Boil some water and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Pour a little water over your matcha, and whisk it together until it is frothy and there are no clumps left. Pour in more water (or milk if you like it creamier) and whisk again.
Add your almond or coconut milk and honey to taste.
Too busy to whisk? Get some no whisk required matcha here.