Chia seeds are the ultimate.
These tiny seeds are crazy nutrient dense, easy to digest and are a great source of energy for your body.
"Chia" is actually the Mayan word for "strength", and these seeds were eaten by this ancient culture for strength and energy they provided.
They are high in fiber, omega 3, protein, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants and are super easy to sneak into your world to maximize your nutritional intake.
If an anti-inflammatory diet that supports skin, heart, joints and all over general health interests you, then let chia seeds become one of your besties.
Lately, I am all about the chia puddings.
If you give chia seeds the chance, they'll absorb 10x their weight in water, but I prefer to let them absorb 10x their weight in delicious maple cashew milk. The seeds will turn light and fluffy as they absorb the liquid and make the perfect pudding like base for all your munching desires.
Chia pudding can be as simple or complex as you like, but overall it is incredibly simple to make and is perfect for breakfast, a healthy snack and it even makes a really nice dessert too!
Basic Vanilla Chia Pudding Recipe
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of sea salt
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
Stir everything together in a bowl and let sit for 15 minutes or so.
If you need to adjust the consistency, just remember to add more liquid if it's too dry or more seeds if it is too liquidy. Once absorbed, it will have a similar consistency to rice pudding.
- In the morning, I like to mix everything together before my shower and by the time I am ready for breakfast, it's nice and fluffy for me.
- You can make this overnight in larger batches for convenience, you just may have to adjust with more liquids if it dries out.
- This recipe is really basic (and delicious) but feel free to get creative! I love adding chopped berries and walnuts, or a few bananas and a dollop of almond butter.
- Because chia absorbs water, ensure you hydrate them well before eating and always make sure you drink enough water throughout the day- this will make your digestive system joyous because chia seeds help promote regular detoxification.
- If you're interested in learning more about simple ways to detox daily, download your free 3 day cleanse guide here!